Friday, July 5, 2013

Just a Brief Intro!

Hello everyone!

Since this is my first post on how I cope with alopecia areata (AA) I just wanted to let you all know who I am and what I hope to achieve with this blog! I realize it might not get too popular, but I want to do my best to help young girls cope with AA so that they can still feel beautiful and realize that hair is superficial! :) 

My name is Samantha Davis and I was diagnosed with AA when I was 10 years old. I'm currently 20 years old and a junior at the University of Kentucky. I'm majoring in psychology, with a double minor in math and family sciences. I am a member of Kappa Delta Sorority, have been a competitive cheerleader since I was 8, and I compete in pageants. I am currently Miss Moore County USA 2013, and I will be competing in Miss North Carolina USA in November! I am super excited, and hope to get AA more publicized in order to help find a cure. 

As I said before, I was diagnosed with AA at 10 years old. 10 years old is a pivotal time for young girls, because they are trying to figure out who they really are. It was really hard for me to cope with this, and I hated it when everyone would stare at me. At 10 years old I had over 70% hair loss. I saw doctors after doctors and they finally diagnosed me. Luckily today, I have 25-35% hair loss.

In later posts, I hope to post tips for AA, different treatments, and other miscellaneous things to help girls feel beautiful without all of their hair. I hope that this will give girls a way to talk about their worries and to improve their confidence. 

-Sammi Davis

PS: Happy Belated Fourth of July!
PSS: I will be setting up an email account in a few days, so that girls can email me if they want to talk privately! 



2 comments:

  1. I look forward to following your blog. My daughter has alopecia. But she has alopecia totalis. She has been bald since she was 12 months old. She is now 14. Sadly this is the age where kids are the meanest and she is having a difficult time. I look forward to tips from you and reading things that helped you so that I can better help her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand that age and everything she goes through! If she ever wants to talk to me privately my email is goconfidently.copingwithAA@gmail.com! I hope that my posts can help her realize that she is not alone and that there are ways to love yourself without hair! Thank you so much for your support, it means a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete